To be Uploaded
Predict – Prepare – Pivot
Broadly there is a 3-step process to get ready to tackle jobs in the future. The three steps according to him are Predict – Prepare – Pivot
The first step – Predict – is to be able to look at things from a different angle from the usual traditional on, spot patterns and trends that emerge and on the basis of that, to try and figure out where we are headed – in what direction.
Once we know – not with 100% guarantee but with some amount of accuracy – where we are going, we need to get ready to deal with the deal, in other words – Prepare, for the changing future.
The third step – Pivot – is to know when to take action – when we should be patient and wait, when to be bold and go ahead and do what needs to be done. The trouble is most people know what needs to be done, but they do not do it, so it is necessary to close the gap between knowing and doing and forging ahead along the right path.
Old jobs will be replaced by newer types
With the technological revolution that is changing the face of business, it is predicted that in another 10-20 years around one half of the jobs that exist today will be obsolete or marginalized. Old jobs will be replaced by newer types of jobs requiring new, advanced skills.
If we are to remain in the work force, we need to prepare ourselves and our children, subordinates, employees etc to learn new skills that will be required. We need to make ourselves indispensable so that we stay within the work force. We can prepare ourselves by one or more of the following ways:
- Become a master at whatever we do so that we become indispensable at our place of work.
- Increase our Emotional Quotient- developing people skills i.e. become better at dealing with and communicating with people, saying the right thing and doing the right thing at the right time.
- Continuously improve processes and techniques before they become obsolete and useless. Better processes transform to better contribution at work.
- Get creative – by being around creative people, keep learning and implementing new skills in a practical manner
- Network smartly and continuously so that you always in touch with those who you need to be touch with.
The firmer your prediction and the stronger your preparation, the easier it will be for you to pivot and take the right decision at the right time.